Re: Everybody Knows That Won't Work

To: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Everybody Knows That Won't Work
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:24:34 -0700
OK, I sent a reply earlier today and it got lost in cyberspace along the
way. I will try and remember what I stated.Regarding tires on the salt, from
my vantage point in the timing stand we see it all. First, this meet the
salt was HARD & DRY. This can be a big factor with any tire one runs. It is
also abrasive in this condition.

In the past about every kind of tire one can think of has been tried
including aircraft 727 main gear type. Over the years I have seen the
Daytona's and Taladaga's, front runners, wide ovals etc. tried. At around
240 mph  this seems to be the point where the wide tire seems to start
having problems.

This is more so in the shorter wheel base sports type vehicles. A lot of
roadsters tend to spin because there's a lot of weight on the front axle and
once the vehicle has reached max acceleration the rear starts to move around
and can get away from the driver pretty quick. The same for other vehicles.

So, on to the wide Vs narrow and salt conditions. Tires with grooves tend to
pack salt in the grooves when the salt is wet and get into a hydroplane
condition, as do the wide slick tires with more surface area under them. The
narrow Bonneville tires like the Lakesters and Streamliners run still seem
to work best. Please don't miss read what I am saying because I am only
going by what has worked best in the past.

Some years back  racers were still using tubes in the tires and found the
higher speeds caused the tubes to be forced to the outer part of the tire
and pull off the valve stem. High pressure 90 - 100 psi rear and 80 in the
fronts for tubeless type tires seems about the norm. Sealing can be a
problem but Keith Turk and others found ways on this great thread on how to
solve that.

Another problem is age and down force loading of the tires. The grooved tire
that is running a lower air pressure can start to separate along the grove
and chunk off or split along the groove. I don't claim to be an expert on
tires, but I have been on the investigation of every accident with SCTA /BNI
since 1983. We look at everything that could be probable cause and try to
determine it. It's not easy as in our sport nothing is contained between
crash ways etc.

Example, Earl Woodens incident from the first indication of a problem to the
last piece of the vehicle was some 3100 feet.
In this case, once again the safety rules worked. I think what my message is
approach every venue with extreme caution. Any landspeed racer will answer
your questions regarding tires or just about anything else you are seeking
help on.

Brian, Grib, keith Dave,Skip and all of the rest,  Once I am only going by
what I have seen from the Best seat in the House. You guy's and Gals put on
one hell of a show in 2001.
Thanks, and keep up the landspeed information thread.
Glen ( I timed the worlds fastest wheel driven car to date, what a thrill
for me)