Re: Everybody Knows That Won't Work

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Everybody Knows That Won't Work
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 07:49:07 -0700
Dave
I am not claiming to be a tire expert, far from it. The point I am
addressing is what I have seen on the salt the last 20 years.
I agree with you about the lack of tire loading and ratings not being
available, but in our specialized type of racing there are not a lot of
people beating down our doors to make us racing tires. The M/T's and
Goodyear's are what we have. As I stated yesterday the salt conditions dry
or wet are a factor in partly how the tire works.

As far as loading and down forces there are vehicles with high loading. The
Firebird of Lindsleys & Leggitt had heavy loading and the ground effects
along with the body (front) was almost self destructing. I am glad it didn't
go over 333mph as I think the vehicle would have had a different ending.

Earl Woodens tire failure was delaminating down the center of the tire
resulting in it exploding. The other factor in the coupe was the engine /
drive train was on the right side of the vehicle and in turn had more load
on the right rear tire. Like I said I am just passing on lessons learned
from the past. I wish we had more experts in the tire world to take an
interest in our needs and give us safe 500 mph tires.