Re: Everybody Knows That Won't Work

To: glen barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Everybody Knows That Won't Work
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 07:30:52 -0400
Interesting things to think about here!
My 2 cents worth from looking around the last 10 years tells me there are very
few wings at B'ville that make that much down force. KT would have told you
about how the car settles down during a run from down force, well i instrumented
it this year and the car moved very little probably on the order of 1/8 inch.
>From what I can see of the rules for the most part real wings are not allowed
>in
most classes and a spoiler is for cleaning up air flow and is not a foil that
can generate large amounts of down force.  personally i think tire failures have
more to do with the the weight of the car.  Most tires that I am aware of all
have both a load rating and a speed rating. I would also have to think that an
overloaded tire will have less strength and therefore a lower speed rating than
one that is not overloaded. I have looked through the rule book and did not find
anywhere so far a place that discusses the load rating of a tire. Does anyone
think that i could run a Goodyear land speed tire on a Ford Expedition or a GMC
Yukon at 200 mph and be ok with handling? or that the tires would not be
overloaded? yet i have heard all about 5000 lb doorslamers with tires like these
on them. If you really want to get a handle on tires and failures you might want
to ask some one how much the car weighs and if the tires are rated for that
weight and speed that they are planing on running. If they have a 5000 lb car
and small front tires and have 55% front weight you have a failure waiting to
happen!! I would bet most are severely overloaded.
The front runners have no load rating at all listed on Goodyears site and many
of the land speed tires are rated for 1200 lbs others at 1700 lbs with one
listed at 3000 lbs. I looked at M/T site and there was nothing listed about LSR
tires there ...
If you really want to put any tire issues behind yourself you have to have a
tire from a company that will give the recommended load and speed rating and
check cars for compliance as part of a safety inspection.  If you look at this
link   http://www.goodyear.com/us/tires/racing/products/racect19.html

You will see that all these tires are rated at 300 mph or less at the rated load
or less load..
So if you have a car that goes over 300 on these tires you have an issue to
begin with and like i said the front runners don't even have a rated load or
speed that I saw so what is safe for those?
The other side of this that I would have to ask is the age of the tires. But
maybe that is another issue How do cars with visible checking on the side walls
even get through inspection? They are there and i have seen them many times!
What is the speed load rating after 4 years with a side wall that is checked and
how do you separate cosmetic damage from structural damage?

Dave Dahlgren
Who personally would not buy a tire without a load and a speed rating and would
believe it!