Re: New Car Procedures

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "Rick Byrnes"
Subject: Re: New Car Procedures
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 11:15:46 -0700
Gentlemen
It's something we do at the dry lakes and is in the rule book. Pg.11. It is
recommended that new car / drivers make less then full throttle and full
runs. I see them all and most are doing just that. I would think a new
driver or a new car would demand a lot of thought from one trying to qualify
the first run on a new car. When things don't work it spells trouble. We
discussed a lot of things over the last year and I would hope we all learned
something. A chute failure put a streamliner in the mud early in the week.

As I said yesterday the chute is there to aid in stopping the car. Ask any
drag racer,it's the first thing they go for.
I realize they have less room to stop but knowing you can get off the course
and out of a car is helpful to the guy in line.

There have been a few occasions where things were falling off the vehicle
and others when they had fires and leaks etc. and didn't know it till they
stopped and found a trail of crap for two miles on the course. This creates
more down time.
My thoughts
Glen