Re: New Car Procedures

To: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Re: New Car Procedures
From: "Jonathan Amo" <webmaster@landracing.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 16:30:22 -0600
Glen and List,

Not taking anybodies side here but here is my thoughts on the waiting lines.
One with the increased entries at speedweek, and we all hope that it continues
grow. has anybody addressed what that does to lines to run? It increases the
wait
time.
I for one was in line for 3-4 hours to run during speedweek on the short course.
It does take awhile.
There are flaws in the system that I see that should could be addressed.
One - the "Big Dogs" in the house. I SOMETIMES see that when they get to the
start line their turn they are just getting suited up, getting in car, warming
the engine etc. etc. thus making long course lines wait longer. What happened to
getting in the car 3-4 cars back and waiting their turn so when they are up they
can go? I have seen Jack Costella in his little streamliner for hours baking. I
understand they are going fast they have alot to do to prepare for the run, but
so do others. But then again most of the time the starters do a fine job of
slipping others thru while they are preparing at the start line.
For the first couple days at speedweek you are lucky to get in one run a day.
But
towards the end of week like wednesday or thursday you can usually make laps
toward the end of the day.
The plan is efficency. The problems on the course you can't really prevent. If
people knew they were going to leave parts on the course they woundn't have run
the car. SCTA I think did an awesome job keep the course clear, getting people
out of the way in a very fast matter, clean ups, course sweeps.
But here is the question? can SCTA make the runs any faster than what they
already are? Probably not. They already do a damn nice job. A few minor problems
at start line. Has anyone thought on the future of land speed racing racing on
the salt if it continues to grow and entries hit 400-425, is there another
solution out there to make lines go faster?
I for one had problems all week, waited in line for several hours to make a
half-ass run, could there be a solution for a test track to run for liscensing
passes up to 150, and also use this course for vehicles that need a test track
if
they are having problems and they are trying to work the bugs out? Shifting,
carburation, ignition. The track to be used solely as a test track maybe 1-2
miles long with a 180ft trap speed.
Just a suggestion, I think would be worth while. This would help speed up other
lines, get the people who are having problems on their own track to test and
work
out their bugs, test the chutes and get some of the liscensing passes out of the
way.

Jonathan Amo
www.landracing.com