Re: Vesco turbine

To: "wspotter" <wester6935@home.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Vesco turbine
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 10:02:03 -0400
I am finding this thread of turbine vehicles quite interesting, as early in
my tenure with Ford,  (1969 thru 1973) I worked on the 707 Gas turbine
engine.

This program brought turbine engines closer to production for vehicles, than
any other engine program I know of.  Ford built a facility in Toledo Ohio
for production of this engine and were actually producing what we call
production validation engines when the roof figurativel fell in. (different
story).
Toward the latter prat of the program, I was part of a team responsible for
the support of a fleet of 6 WT 9000 heavy truck vehicles that were running
durability at Fords, Arizona Proving Ground, near Kingman.  These trucks
accumulated many, many thousands of miles, and proved the viability of a
free power turbine, varaible geometry compressor turbine nozzles, and
regenerative cycle, engine in a 450 HP package.  Hauling maximum loads these
trucks were "king of the road" if nothing else than for the 14" diameter
dual exhaust stacks.  The only engine that could give us real problems when
conditions were right was the 440 Cat. (that was the largest diesel hp of
the day).
However, can you immagine maximum torque at 0 outshaft speed?  My old fart
memory says something like 1300 lbs ft.

My point is of course how close the powertrain was to real production for
use in vehicles.

Of some interest, when the Ford program collapsed, the rights and tooling
were purchased by our chief engineer who left the company.  After a number
of years the basic design found its way into the strangest place.  The Ford
707 gas turbine became the engine for APU power of the Patriot missle
systems that served so well in the middle east.

Just a side bar that may have some interest.

Rick