Re: weight

To: Dan Warner <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: weight
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 11:14:04 -0500
Dan Warner wrote:

> I seem to remember that the NASCAR guy's frame rails were 2x4 shaped. They
> used plugs of 2x4 wood to space the weight, i.e. a weight, a plug, a weight, a
> plug .... this way you could move the weight forward and aft as needed.
>
> If you use either square, rectangle or round tubing you could make a pair of
> plugs to insert from either end to center the weight. Round tubing could have
> threaded ends for ease of adjustment. You could make caps for square or rect.
> tubing. How about having brackets that bolt to the frame so you could remove
> the cross member for filling/empting.
>
> DW

Hi All,
This might be just more complication than what is worthwhile, but assuming there
might be an identifiable and quantifiable difference in the balance you want for
getting off the line or staying stable at speed, has anyone ever tried a
moveable
ballast?  (sort of like a trim adjustment?)
If you had tubes fore-and-aft with weights inside you might be able to have
cables
or screws (like a garage door opener?) to adjust.
Yes it would add weight, but that would be figured in as part of the ballast.

Same question on adjustable airfoils?
Cheers,
Rick
caught some of the speedvision show last night; great stuff!