Re: Auto trans history

To: WmTSmith@landracing.com (Bill Smith), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Auto trans history
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 18:33:08 -0500 (EST)
Yes Bill, I agree, the GM four-speed Hydramatic appeared about '37 or
'38 on Oldsmobile and Cadillac, solid as a rock, and was used on
Cadillac Flathead V8 tank engines during WWII (very convenient, one
engine and trans for each track, turn in its own length and all), and
continued after the War well up into the '50s at least until superceded
by other designs.  It furnished the basis for the first B & M racing
automatic too.

It had a real low first gear which made my Dad's '51 Hudson Hornet
really good on the holeshot, beat all my pals with their Ford
Flatheads!!!  Cheers Bill