Re: Auto trans history

To: benettw@earthlink.net, ardunbill@webtv.net, WmTSmith@landracing.com,
Subject: Re: Auto trans history
From: Want1937hd@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 01:28:50 EST
Bill, The other thing that was odd about the Brush was the wooden front and
rear axles. They were one cylinder water cooled cars with chain drive. Every
Ford built 1903-27 had a planetary transmission as well. Bob in connecticut

<< Now for a bit more history behind Oldsmobile and Cadillac. Back when I was
 teenager dad restored a 1911 Brush made by a man by the name Augustus P.
 Brush. The car had a two speed semi automatic. Two sets of planetary gears,
 the gear shift just selected which clutch pack to engage. He built these car
 up to about 1913 I believe. Here is where an interesting tie in goes.
 Augustus P. Brush joined with Oldsmobile and Cadillac to help develop their
 cars. Hmmm wonder where their transmission ideas came from?

 Bill
 Another interesting tid bit the car was the first with  4 coil spring
 suspension. It had extending springs instead of the modern day compression
 type. >>