Re: Recips.

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Subject: Re: Recips.
From: rtmack <RTMACK@pop3.concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:27:52 -0600
Neil, Terry:
I had a similar experience with Terry's "other" recip airliner: the Super
Connie.  Left Frankfort, Germany March, '55-- my first flight (not quite 10
years
old).  Stopped at Shannon, Ireland for fuel, then on to Gander, Newfoundland.
Not quite as dramatic as Neil's-- but by the time we landed in Gander, one of
those big turbine-compounded radials was dead.  We had to wait in the terminal
(damn near froze!) while they swapped-out.  When we re-boarded, seems like they
spent 10 minutes on the end of the runway with the brakes locked and the engines
at takeoff power (??)-- testing them, I guess.  The noise and vibration were
incredible-- unbelievable, to a 10-year old!
Boris  Said (sports car racer) recently said of his skull fracture that it was a
lot like a tequila hangover-- well, when I got my first tequila hangover some
years later, I instantly recalled that Super Constellation doing its 4-radial
"dyno test"!  Haven't quit loving big engines, though (haven't quit drinking
tequila, either).

Russ Mack

p.s.-- was the wing loading a lot less on airliners back then?  That was also
the
bounciest flight I have ever had on a big plane.