Re: Tire reliabilty, and traction control

To: rtmack <RTMACK@pop3.concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Tire reliabilty, and traction control
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:12:55 -0800
Russ,

I am impressed by your resume.  I don't  consider myself an expert at
anything, but I do have an opinion concerning this discussion.

1. Rooster tails on the salt are not from wheel spin - it is caused by
the vacuum created behind the car. The severity of the rooster tail has
much to do with how much loose salt is on the course. I say this because
of experience in a low HP car that rarely spins its wheels but generally
carries a tail from about the one mile.

2. I am not in favor of anything that takes the absolute control of the
car away from me for any reason. Otherwise why drive, let's put robots
in the driver's seat. Driving is what it is all about, if it wasn't I
doubt if many of us would bother to make the trip.

3. After talking to Earl Wooden, I don't believe his problem was wheel
spin, rather, I suspect, it was extreme loading of the tires from
applied HP that was well hooked up. The flexing of a well hooked up tire
will create more heat than a spinning one, in my opinion. Would traction
control correct the problem? I don't think so.

4. Undoubtedly, the most powerful sedan on the Salt this year was the
Lindsley/Leggitt Firebird, 333 MPH in the middle mile. So far as I know
the only tire problem they had was front tire shredding, again loading,
this time from downforce.

Yes Earl was lucky! It is curious when you compare his crash to Tom
Burkland's. The speed was much different, but the results similar,
actually Tom's injuries were worse than Earl's. You don't have to be
going 300 MPH to get hurt. That is why I worry about the 130 MPH Club
cars at the World of Speed. We had a fatality at the Lakes in 1962 when
a Pinto crashed at about 140 MPH. (At that time we had a 140+ MPH roll
bar rule.)

I have been doing crazy this stuff since the middle fifties. I have seen
many changes in Safety Requirements and I applaud those that have made
it happen. Most of our Safety Rules have been ushered in by blood, even
lost lives, but none so far take total control of the car away from the
driver. To quote one of Murphy's Laws, "You can't make things fool safe,
fools are to ingenious."

I do appreciate your comments. I just don't think that you really
understand what we do.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC, (still reaching toward the distant 300 MPH
barrier.)