Re: LSR HISTORY

To: pork.pie@t-online.de (pork.pie)
Subject: Re: LSR HISTORY
From: Ugo Fadini <ugo@ugofadini.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:12:07 +0100
Hi again!,

I am not familiar with the 200 Club rules, but by cheking the members
list I came up with some clues to some of criteria that may have
determined inductions in the club.

While I think the Club started with the purpose to honour the men who
had set a record at over 200 MPH on the Salt Flats, it must have
become obvious that holders of the outright record, or anyway
International FIA records even faster than hot rodders were achieving
at Bonneville could not be ignored, no matter where the records had
been set, so  they added Eyston, Caracciola and Gardner. Why not
Malcolm Campbell and John Cobb, and also Segrave, Keech, Rosemeyer
and Nuvolari, who all held International FIA records at over 200 mph?
I suspect the reason was simply that they inducted only the ones who
were alive.
I am not sure when the 2 Club was formed, nor when the non-SCTA
record holders were added (which I think happened at some later
date): it would be interesting to know, because Nuvolari might have
been alive

Then they kept inducting everyone who set a record over 200 mph at
Bonneville, plus whoever set an outright lsr even if not at
Bonneville: Donald Campbell, Richard Noble, Andy Green.
Recently they introduced the minimums, but that is all another story.

If the criteria I tried to extract from the list make sense, then
there is at least one member that does not seem to belong: Dr. Nathan
Ostick, who appears with a speed of 360.00 mph: this is no record,
and even the speed is an approximate figure. I figure that he was
honoured for being the first to drive a jet car, an achievemnet in
itself.

I will keep cheking and if I find anything else to point out I will!

Ugo Fadini
in Padova, Italy
--
Ugo Fadini