Re: Bonneville

To: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Subject: Re: Bonneville
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 10:19:22 -0800
Scott,

Nothing said in this discussion, certainly not by me, would suggest that
we don't want new participants. It is refreshing to see people that are
running for the first time. We want you and others to share in our love
for this Sport. Our real concern is that it remain an "Amateur Sport."
I, and others on this list, remember drag racing in its formative years.
It used to be fun, then came the christmas tree, bracket racing,
sponsorships, factory teams, points championships, etc. It isn't fun
anymore for the average low buck guy. At least that is my opinion. All
the talk of "media events" is smoke. Drag racing has media, who do you
see on the tube.  The cars and drivers that have high dollar
sponsorships, that's who!. Let's face it, we all like to be recognized
for our accomplishments, media does that at our meets now. You can be a
first timer or a veteran,  a $100,000 streamliner or a bar stool, you
still get coverage. That is my kind of media event. I certainly hope
that doesn't change.

I hope to meet you some day on the Salt.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC