Re: Test Ride?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Test Ride?
From: QuikslvrJ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:38:29 EST
Up until approx. 12 months ago I worked as a service writer at a prominent
motorcycle dealership in Northern Nevada. I've had the opportunity to ride just
about everything over the few years that I worked with, and I can tell you
this: the difference between an ultra-modern bike (for example new GSXR-1000)
vs. something of a decade ago (1990ish GSXR-750) is absolutely incomprehensible
for most. The newer 'big' bikes are hands-down rockets. Think about an
'out-of-the-box' bike ('Busa) that will run 9's literally off the showroom
floor. 0 - 60mph in 3 seconds. 0 - 100mph in under 8 seconds. I was raised on
such bikes, and as much as I love them, I believe that we are coming to a point
where they almost have gone too far! For example, I don't think the GSXR-1000
should even be on the street. After riding it, I KNOW most of the buyers of
this machine do not have the experience or self-control to operate it in even a
semi-safe fashion. The reason I left the motorcycle industry was I lost 12
friends in 10 months o
n such bikes. But now I'm just rambling. Anyway, you're right to try to get a
test-ride before you buy. Just make sure whatever you ride is similar to what
you plan on buying. The tech changes are stupid fast.

Josh