Re: Plug wires

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Subject: Re: Plug wires
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 10:38:24 -0800
Hello to all,

I'm  back home from Ecuador where I received graphic  reinforcement of
the blessings of living in the "Good Old USA". It was a very
interesting, educational, and rewarding trip. I would love to return for
more time there.

We spent most of our time in Quito and neighboring communities, with  a
two day stay at Atacames on the coast. Quito is at 10,000 ft. altitude,
it takes a little time to ge used to the rare air. I was smart enough
not to drive there, we got around by bus and taxi. A bus cost  twenty
cents and a taxi would take one or a car load anywhere in Quito for a
fare of $1 to $6. Quito covers an area fifty km long and five to six km
wide. If anyone wants to hear more about our trip I will be glad to
share, just don't want to get too long winded on the network.

Regarding secondary resistance:
A couple of advantages of resistance in the secondary circuit is a
higher voltage is delivered to the plug, and there is less lingering
voltage trailing across the gap, wearing the plug, after the ignition is
the produced. I remember using bailing wire, on our old tractor, to hold
the plug wire terminal  away from the plug, giving the spark a gap to
jump. Higher voltage delivered at the plug would burn through the oil in
a bad cylinder. There is also a product that can be bought to attach
between the plug and the wire which would do the same thing.

Back in the late 50s and early '60s, when secondary resistance was a
fairly new technology, there were warnings against using both
resistance wires and resistance plugs in the same application. It was
thought that doubling the resistance would cause performance problems.
Later this proved to be erroneous, but of course the ignition systems of
the day were not so strong as we enjoy today. Just my thoughts on the
subject.

 Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC