Re: Street Roadster record

To: ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Street Roadster record
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:22:45 -0500
ardunbill@webtv.net wrote:

> Rick, I plumbed a quality drain valve into my injection pump feed line
> just for convenience in draining the tank.  The feed line exits the
> bottom of my two-gallon homemade steel tank that fits rubber mounted
> inside the bottom of the '32 Ford grill shell, via a Hilborn filter.
>
> The drain valve I use was designed long ago to drain the coolant from
> the water jackets on the early Flathead block.  Big volume, and all
> metal working parts, brass and steel.  No name on it, but there's
> probably plenty of them out there.  I use the same kind of drain valve
> in my cooling system to quickly drain the coolant with a hose.  They use
> a 5/8" I.D. hose, clear PVC from the hardware store is good so you can
> see what you're doing.  Cheers Bill

Hi Bill,
Makes sense.  There are plenty of valves with high specs. (I have family in the
oil patch supply; gas at 1000psi etc. and seals spec'd for gas/oil)
I suppose if someone had an aversion to a valve you could have a quick
disconnect in your line with a drain setup to plug in, but I'd rather have a
dedicated valve and drain at the lowest point, especially as the quick
disconnects might have a limited life used that way.
Thanks,
Rick