Tool Making / Welding

To: autox list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tool Making / Welding
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:00:46 -0700 (PDT)
I'm cutting off the open end of a 5/8" combination wrench, then welding the
remaining handle and box end  to a 1/2" drive 5/8" socket to create the worlds
most versatile, all purpose header spark plug wrench. It will have the box end
on one end of the handle, and the socket on the other.  I'm going to torch weld
this.  In order to maintain the proper hardness for tool applications, (so it
doesn't bend like those $2.99 China wrenches, or snap off like those $2.99
India wrenches) when I'm done welding, should I:

a.  Let it air cool

b.  Plunge it in cool water

c.  Plunge it in oil

d.  Other (like what?)