Re: Tool Making / Welding

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tool Making / Welding
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:44:26 -0400
At 12:00 PM 4/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm cutting off the open end of a 5/8" combination wrench, then welding the
>remaining handle and box end

>Dick J

 IMHO:
  Any time we welded tools for any reason in the plant, we let them
air cool  SLOWLY.  or wrapped them in a fiberglass blanket to allow SLOW
cooling, that tends to anneal the brittle joint areas

 Quenching already hardened or forged tools in any cool water OR
cool oil tends to induce more brittleness, you already have a layer
of brittleness at the weld joint.
last thing you need in a handtool is more of the same...

  using warm/hot oil quench would be a second choice.

                   \\  ~ ~  //
                    (  @ @  )
      |        john.szalay@att.net       |
               .oooO     (   )
                 \_)           I yam whaddIyam.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, However,
A rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
            Friends, don't let friends do AOL!