Re: Data Recorders

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Data Recorders
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:13:45 EDT
In a message dated 4/17/2002 4:53:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
webmaster@landracing.com writes:

> Correct me if I am wrong we are amateur right, NASCAR is not, lets not
> become what they are. Lets make our own rules.
> Are we having fun yet?
>
> Jonathan Amo

    I have no feelings one way or another on the rule banning data gathering
in the new Classic class. However, I see no connection between SCTA-BNI and
NASCAR, NHRA, CART, IRL, et.all. SCTA-BNI is a pretty democratic
organization. Unless I'm badly misteken the rule changes are not just
dictated by a small nucleus of officers behind closed doors. The inputs from
all the participants and members of SCTA are passed on to the Rules
Committee, which holds meetings open to all association members, at which
testimony is heard from interested parties. The whole process is done in a
pretty democratic way. Dan, correct me if I'm wrong.
    My supposition on the data-gathering ban was that because the cars in
this new class are from an era where computers were not in wide-spread
automotive use yet, and possibly devices like EFI hadn't been invented or
perfected yet, the Rules Committee wanted the participants to run this new
class with the technology that was available when the cars in this new class
were built. What other restrictions are there on the new Classic Class?
    I haven't received my 2002 Rule Book yet, but that was the general line
of thinking that I recall hearing last year when the class was being
discussed.......Ardun Doug King