RE: Traction Control

To: "'land-speed@autox.team.net'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Traction Control
From: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:35:05 -0400
Excellent issues.

>Michael L Obrien wrote:

>I wonder how the unit can recognize the difference in a
>sideways G force when sliding and a quick inside move
>to pass another car.

Well, if you were at your 'limit of adhesion' you would not
have any traction left to make an 'inside' move with.  You might
make an outside move to pass.  But you make a good point.  Now we
have to pick up a steering input, and then a control that
disconnects driver input from the steering to prevent him from
exceeding traction limits.  We already have throttle control with
the rev limiter.  Hey, starts to sound more and more like traction
control on slot cars.

>Could it not limit your revs when you need them?

Yes. But I think the assumption we are making is circle track
racing, on the straight there would be no side G load and thus
no reason to limit the revs (for a simple side load rev limiter).

>How would they overcome possible rev limiting in situations where
>you bumped by another vehicle? Or, or these just non-issues that
>don't cause a problem?

I think that these are probably very real issues.  It begs the
question, do you really want to be playing bumper cars at the
limit of adhesion?  That kind of bumping usually reduces traction, or
increases G loading (sideways - enough to put you over the limit of
adhesion).  Then again, would you want an
automated system getting out of the throttle for you - an unexpected
deceleration might be an unpleasant surprise.  (Which brings
up the whole issue of those with the 'fortitude' to stay in the
throttle when the jostling begins - talk about walking a fine line.)

>I can see that traveling in a straight line with something to limit
>wheelspin vs actual speed should possibly be workable.

Somebody on the list is bound to say, "Yes, that's your right foot".
But, since we pretty much go in straight lines, and cornering
ability would appear not to play a large part, I guess I'm still
a little unsure why traction control would be outlawed in LSR.
Short course, where quick acceleration is important, OK - keeps
somebody from substituting bucks for skill.  On a long course,
where there is plenty of room to accelerate (is there?), it might
be considered a safety device.  (Of course, if you are decelerating
too hard you would need a rev increaser.)

>I will say that I
>nevercease to be amazed by the ingenuity of NASCAR folks..............
>especially the legendary Smokey Yunick.

Bravo!

Thanks,
Jim.