Re: An odd thought..

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: An odd thought..
From: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:26:26 -0700
Since I'm the first one back reading all the mail on the list I will just
throw in a comment we, as inspectors, hear every year at our pre-meeting.
(not that we listen to someone in the same class complaining about another
entrant)  We are told that after we read the class written on the front of
the form and we see something that "maybe protestable" during the safety
inspection, out of respect to the entrant we may ask them about their
interpretation of the rule in question.  This is to keep them from getting
all the way into impound, setting a record, getting protested, and
eventually loosing the record....This is not what the SCTA wants.  We had 3
different problems I personally know about this year 2 with engine sizes and
one on the wrong course, where records were LOST.

I don't know what was in question and really do not want to know at this
time.I did not see it. ....Some of the newer inspectors are not comfortable
with this and get Dan, Mike Stewart, or even me to help the entrant. This
has saved may heart aches later in the week and I have been personally
thanked for getting a clarification during the first inspection process.

Other than that, the Flyin' Jimmy had a perfect week. 2 passes at over 202.
Over 200 in the 1/4. The first Gas/Fuel Roadster with a vintage engine to
get in the 2 Club and a chance to spend 12 days with greatest people from
all over the world with the same passion as me and the best speed show on
earth.  Next year Patrick says he'll "let" me drive.... JD

PS.  Wes, It was great meeting you.  I'm sorry we didn't get to talk much.3
days of set up, Friday was a tough long inspection day, I took Saturday off
and did nothing but rest in my pit and sell Pith Helmets.  Every morning
started for me a 5:00 am with the long course lead down and line up, and
them being Dans right hand man in impounds  (a job I love)