Re: MC Chain

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>, "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>,
Subject: Re: MC Chain
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 17:44:18 -0700
Well, all...don't know much about bikes cept I once rode a Vincent. But,
this is an interesting thread. If the breaking strength of the chain is 8800
lbs and the rear chain wheel is say 8 inches in diameter (4 inch lever arm)
then the applied torque to the rear wheel would be over 2900 ft-lbs (no, it
aint lbs -ft)...obviously not doable. So the real truth of the matter is
that you first need to determine how much traction you have before slippage,
ie tire spin, occurs. This would be the kinetic friction coefficient.
Somewhere around 0.6 I imagine. So multiply that times the weight on the
back wheel, say 250 lbs (? approx 1/2 bike and driver weight?) then rear
tractive force isabout 150 pounds. If the rear wheel is about 26 inches in
diameter then that translates to around to about 162 ft-lbs before the rear
wheel starts to lose traction. Then the torque or pull at the rear chain
wheel must be around 528 ft - lbs. then the pull on the chain has to be
around 1584 pounds. Seems like an acceptable margin of safety to me ( MS =
((8800 - 1584) /1584) = 4.5)! Is all of this right? WHo knows, but, it
should clearly point the direction in thinking in engineering terms. Lot of
the above was really swagged...

mayf, the red necked ignorant desert rat in Pahrump who used to own a Z1b
Kaw...