Re: MC Chain

To: drmayf@teknett.com (DrMayf), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MC Chain
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 22:35:18 -0400 (EDT)
Very good, Mayf, this is right in line with what I found years ago,
although I didn't try to predict the point where wheelspin would limit
the pull in the chain, but calculated from the torque in the gearbox
output shaft and the size of the sprocket.  With a Vincent example I
calculated(from memory, don't have the paper anymore - 30 years ago),
the engine at full torque rpm in first gear and full throttle could
produce around 1500 lbs of pull in the rear chain.  When the Renold
chain of the day was rated at 5000 lbs tensile.  This doesn't account
for what happens when somebody revs the said Vincent high, then drops
the clutch, and those heavy flywheels hit that chain.  Then, who knows,
but we do know chain breakage was rarely reported.  Bill