Fw: Cool Air and drag

To: "Land-speed Racers" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Cool Air and drag
From: "Marge and/or Dave Thomssen" <mdthom@radiks.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:18:10 -0500
John
It is great fun to try to figure this stuff out.
Drag goes up with the square of the speed and HP goes up with the cube of
the speed but both are directly proportional to air density. (see Katz "Race
Car Aerodynamics" p 47).
I always thought we should go faster in the cool because rolling friction is
independent of air density but the other factors such as traction seem to
reduce the affect.
Dave the Hayseed