Re: Parachute Deployment Load Rates...

To: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: Re: Parachute Deployment Load Rates...
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 07:24:45 -0800
Who was at Black Rock when Richard Noble and Andy Green ran?  What did they
do to stop?  Can we learn something from those cars?  Noble used the best
Great Britain had to offer to solve his problems with both those cars.  I
don't know how many runs Green made but it was an incredible number just
inching up to the sound barrier.  Whatever techniques he used, they worked.

I'm just guessing but from my reading...
Jet cars accelerate at a much higher rate.  They are usually timed after a
shorter distance allowing for a longer area to slow.  I'm not familiar with
the driving techniques but they could use engine braking, like an airplane
does, to slow quickly to a manageable speed.

Breedlove used parachutes (which failed) when he ended up in a brine pond
and he had clipped a telephone pole to try to slow the "wingless airplane".

Wes