Re: Flywheel Opinion Wanted

To: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Subject: Re: Flywheel Opinion Wanted
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 05:39:08 -0500
If you get a spike in RPM without the same spike in wheel speed the clutch is
going.. If they match you spun the drive wheel. It is best to put a sensor on
the trans input shaft as it should always read the same as engine rpm unless the
clutch is slipping. That way you don't need to do any math as to what gear you
are in.
As far as the heavy flywheel goes I just never add weight to anything unless it
can be proved to help me. The same thing that might help a heavy wheel not slip
the tires has to work in reverse as well once they start to spin. If it doesn't
work in both directions I suspect the theory is wrong. I would think that the 11
inch dual disk clutch is the same weight as a button clutch on a heavy wheel as
well. So to stay the same with a small clutch i would think you would have to
add to the flywheel. For Bonneville I would also think that a clutch that can be
slipped a tiny bit at the start is a real advantage to leaving gracefully at the
start. I don't think the button clutch likes that one bit. It is either in or
out you pick which one but there is very little in between.
Dave