RE: Book Reviews

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Book Reviews
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:52:13 -0600
Hard topic, Keith.

I read about "how to design stuff" and "how to fix stuff" all the time, but
none of these are great books.

How about...

1.  "A Winter's Tale"-- Mark Helprin; a "low fantasy" set in and around NYC
during the industrial revolution (my favorite fiction book)
2.  "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"-- Robert Pirsig.
Philosophy, I guess you'd say, and not real "accessible".  Actually about
the importance of QUALITY in all things, and the philosophical perspective
on problem-solving methodology.  Just so happens that the old britbike the
author is riding across the country is a convenient focus for his "quality"
and "problem-solving" ideas. Of influence to me EVERY DAY-- but not a real
"fun" read.
3. "Duesenberg"-- J.L. Elbert-- history of the greatest American car
company, full of pix of cars that could be Playboy centerfolds, according to
my lustmeter.

Beyond those three, the non-fiction I read is not really great-- just needed
info.  And I can't prioritize among the wonderful fiction I've read; most of
Michner's stuff before "Iberia" (yuk!)-- Zane Gray (everything), Frank
Herbert ("Dune" series), John Steinbeck (mostly the short stories &
novelettes), Jack London, Joseph Conrad, Graham Greene.  Oh, yeah-- and this
guy McCarty ("All the Pretty Horses").

Russ, #1226B
p.s. I also liked "Blue Highways" very much-- just not a "top-fiver" for me.
You (Keith) might enjoy "The Education of Littletree", by Forrest Carter.