RE: Dry sump

To: "'Ed Van Scoy'" <ed@vetteracing.com>, "'DrMayf'"
Subject: RE: Dry sump
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:30:02 -0500
Ed & List,
If this is academic to you sorry, I post if for whoever wants to know.

As you know the important function of the dry sump pump is to keep the
engine in oil pressure. You set that pressure at the pump and it only
needs to be minimal to get the job done. (minimal pressure equates to
less HP to drive the pump) However, to increase the HP of the motor you
need to pull a vacuum on the crankcase. More vacuum means more HP, till
you get to an amount that you start pulling oil past the valves. Close
tolerance on the Dry Sump Pump gears gets high vacuum ratings.
If your pump spins freely when open to atmosphere, that's OK, but not
when it's hooked up to the lines. If you cap the suction ports of the
pump and turn the pulley, it should have resistance and turn back. If
not it needs to be rebuilt. I intend to run a vacuum gauge on the
suction side of the V6, just so I know where I'm running.

"Do what others Won't and you'll do what others Can't for the rest of
your life"