Re: Aero Testing

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Aero Testing
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 05:30:05 -0500
It depends on how bad they drag.. But you are looking for the total drag for the
whole car.. If you fix any of the other things then the results should show up
as well.. What you do not know is the racing surface condition and it has a
dramatic effect on the hp required to go a certain speed. If the surface deforms
it is absorbing power..the extremes being concrete and sand.. So data collected
is valuable but has to be scaled for air density and surface conditions.. The
software I wrote for gear selection takes this all into account doing terminal
speed calcs.. I wonder if I could just reverse the inputs and outputs so it does
a calc on coast down ... Or just add a module for that..

Dave