Re: In Car Cameras

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: In Car Cameras
From: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 11:12:10 -0700
Jim;
I have used the I O Port camera mount for years, mainly for
open road racing, but I have learned a bit about racing
videos.... The camera mount can be found at
http://www.ioportracing.com/
To save time, type "camera" in the search box and several
mounts will come up. I use the first one they show; the one
tied down with a strap. It clamps to your roll bar and adjusts
for vert. or hor. bars, or anything in between. In open road
racing, you spend a lot of time at full throttle (in the
Silver State race I run the first 59 miles with my foot to the
floor. So, this Sony HandyCam I use has to fight a bunch of
elements. Vibration: The roll bar transmits a lot of
vibration, so I cut up an inner tube and used a strip between
the mount clamp and the bar. You must be getting a bunch if it
shook your camera apart :0  Steadiness:  The strap they give
you is to comply with SCCA's rule that the camera must be
secure & can't go flying in a wreck (not a bad idea). To hold
my camera steady, I use several long tie-wraps, quick & easy,
and you can get it solid as a rock.  Noise: As you have
discovered, the loud engine will destroy your picture. I use
foam over the mic also, then electrical tape on top of the
foam. Pile it on - the sound will still get through.  Anyway,
I have gotten some pretty good video this way. There are some
pretty neat in-car systems out there, I'm just not ready to
lay out the bucks for them. Hope some of this helps
Ed

[ Go to http://www.team.net/archive and click on spridgets.  Search
for bogen or just browse the January, 2003 archive.  mjb.]