Re: MLS Gaskets

To: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: MLS Gaskets
From: Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:45:55 -0500
You are right Bryan.
Flatness, waviness and finish need to be very controlled when using the
multi layer gaskets, just like we didn't have in the days of the embossed
steel shim gaskets.  I see this technology as the next logical evolution of
the old steel shim, but this one works.  Embossment is better, and rubber
coatings work well.
The very fine finish actually required a new way of looking at the surface
but in any language it is smooth as a babys bottom, and not many
bumps.....Waviness is another critical requirement, and is almost never
accounted for with the old ways of looking at machining specifications.
Since I use metallic "O" rings to seal combustion on the turbo motor, my
surface requirements have been the same.  I finally found a machinist to
give me the finish that the metal to metal joint requires. They typically
use 7000rpm cutter speed with a very slow feed rate on my aluminum cylinder
head.

Rick