Re: trans heat

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: trans heat
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:12:06 -0700
Dan, all, the qustion really was to address the aspect of having real data
to substantiate whether or not heating the oil does anything for anyone. I
can see whee a single wt oil, like valvoline 50 wt racing oil would require
some thinning from added heat, but with multi-viscosity oils which flow and
perform in both hot and cold conditions I don't see much. That's why I was
wonderif there was real data there somewhere. Or is tis another urban
legend? MAtter of fact, I have no way of doing anything with the data, just
curiosity. Today's modern motors, with their high reliability requirements
(ala 100,000 miles between tune ups), generally start a cold car and bring
the rpms up pretty high for the first few moments of running. This
supposedly gets the oil to the bearings and rings and...quicker resulting in
longer life. Not a challenge here, just curiosity. As to the automatic
tranny, the atf in use are aleady pretty thin so adding heat does not seem
like the answer for them, but could be. I know most efi motors in todays
cars run better at elevated operating temps. Are today's oil technologies
making this obsolete (heating the oil)? Just curious...I will still start
and warm my junk up, if I ever get that far...

mayf