Re: trans heat

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>, Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>,
Subject: Re: trans heat
From: Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:39:56 -0400
Now on to other subjects.

Gentlemen,
Relative to preheating lubricating fluids,
I think we are losing sight of why we are running engines gearboxes and rear
axles to stabilize temps.
It is not about the lubrication fluids, but the mechanical components.  We
take great care in making clearances in the engine just so, with racing
gearboxes designed with roller bearings, and precise clearances, rear axles
with all the tricks to reduce friction, but to run them at ambient temps is
ludicrous.  Warming the fluids warms the mechanical components we care so
much about.  Warming them provides uniform mating surfaces and the potential
of making the power we desire with the durability we require.  We have jack
stands to put cars on, and as reasonable people we will "try" to not run
down anyone, but run the vehicle "in gear with the wheels off the ground" we
should and will do.
I don't think there is any data that proves that preheating the entire
powertrain gives us any more top end speed, but I am convinced that is does
help in preventing driveline failures.

Each to his own.

I will continue to preheat the entire driveline.  Fluids will be at a
predetermined temp prior to leaving the starting line.  PERIOD!
To me it is a question of reliability.

Rick