Re: Cylinder wall surface finish

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cylinder wall surface finish
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 19:04:00 -0700 (PDT)
Tom and list:
Sorry I have not responded earlier but I have been on
the road all day.

Tom, draining oil soon after assembly is a good
practice. It does remove all those pesky metal bits
and "other" unwanted things as well. My comments about
debris in the oil was calling attention to metal that
should be removed by a dedicated machining process
rather than the rings. The best and worst day of my
life was when I installed an Oberg oil filter. It
revealed everything I didn't wash out of the engine.
It was then and there that I stopped using cloth shop
towels around racing engine assembly.

Unless you see an unusual amount of foreign material
in the oil, I wouldn't take the engine apart for
further cleaning. However, if you do disassemble,
check the ring faces. If a thin wear line is present
all the way around the ring face (top ring) then reuse
the rings and don't touch the cylinder wall. I am also
assuming the rings did not overheat in the initial
10-15 minutes of run time. If you see wear on the full
ring face, the ring pack is nearly spent and should be
replaced. You may have to finish hone and brush the
bores to accept new rings.