Re: Cylinder wall surface finish

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cylinder wall surface finish
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 19:29:43 -0700 (PDT)
Bob:

I hope I don't offend anybody here but I do have some
strong feelings about using Flex-Hone brushes to
achieve defect-free cylinder surfaces. This style
brush has many stellar uses but optimal final finish
is not one of them. To begin with, this abrasive brush
uses many round globs of bound silica carbide abrasive
crystals. It is an extreamly open structure abrasive
and has excellent cutting qualities (very similar to
sand paper). Any abrasive that impacts core roughness
(our bearing area) as Flex-Hone does, begins to usurp
the duties of our 400-600 grit stock removing
abrasives. Any abrasive that impacts core roughness
will generate its own peaks and valleys and will not
remove surface defects solely. Now, I have seen
wonderful results using Flex-Hone to break a glaze
followed by an abrasive filled filament brush. This is
quite a good practice for a re-ring jobs if the
cylinder is found suitably round and straight.

John