Re: rings rotating?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rings rotating?
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 06:11:50 -0700 (PDT)
As a point of clarification, manufacturer literature
says rings should ratchet. Rotating or spinning, is
something to be avoided. Now, what mechanics in the
cylinder bore can you create to generate a
ring-ratcheting effect? IMHO, if it happens at all, it
is by accident and not by design. Now, ring spinning,
that's a different story.

Interesting find, Aron. I didn't know Porsche uses
non-rotating valves. I wonder how many other
manufacturers do the same? Here in the US, we have
been told that valve rotation is necessary to keep
valve seats and faces clean of carbon and debris. This
and more efficient heat dissipation was supposed to
increase valve life. Hope I can find someone in
Detroit who will discuss this with me.

John Goodman