Re: Compressor Surge Definition

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Compressor Surge Definition
From: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:49:06 -0700
 There are a lot of
> really smart people on this list but i have to ask the question how
> many have actually turbo charged an engine that was not an off the
> shelf kit or something some one else did for them?? If you have using
> these assumptions I suspect it was a disappointing experience. This is
> not something you learn how to do by reading you have get out to the
> dyno room and start working to learn this stuff..
Dave; I can honestly say My first Bonneville motor was  a turbocharged 270
GMC using two Corvair TRW turbos. No sizing to speak of. I knew one was too
small so two should be better. Might have surged some I don't know. Blew up
every one I could get my hands on. Paid from a low of $19 to a high of $125
for junkyard turbos. Spun the turbine wheel right out of the exhaust pipe
once. Had lots of fun. Good thing about fun is you don't have to know
anything to have it.    Rich