Re: Compressor Surge Definition

To: ddahlgren@snet.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compressor Surge Definition
From: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:21:57 +1000
Dave wrote
i have to ask the question how
>many have actually turbo charged an engine that was not an off the
>shelf kit or something some one else did for them??
There are two of us doing just this in Australia at this very moment ,in
fact we are both turbocharging  suzuki hayabusa's  Im not sure how my mate
in Queensland is tackling his project  but this is how I am  my motivation
for doing so is the outrageous  prices the kit makers are asking  20-30k aus
$ top shelf system  8-12k aus $ for a basic system
I have looked at all the kit makers products out there  and they are quite
varied  so im in front by knowing the basic requirements of puting one
together now down to how Im sizing a turbo for my project  Dave let me know
if im on the right track  I have gone for the Garret  GT series turbo
mainly because they have a good selection of compressor maps  and because of
the water cooled construction and  ceramic bearings  I have calculated data
for boost pressures  PSIG from 8 through to 36 psig , then worked out
adjusted atmospheric pressure for Lake Gairdner  from this I have calculated
pressure ratios  = boost pressure + adj atmospheric pressure /adj
atmospheric pressure I then calculated CFM  = .5 X CID X RPM / 1728 X .95 (
my estimate for the VE of the bike ) X density ratio  then converted this to
LB per min  then ploted these two figures against the compressor maps I
downloaded  I have tried to place the  plot as close as possible to max
efficiency at max torque  and still not less than 65% efficiency at max RPM
unfortunatly none fit nicely into what I want with the maps I have so I have
compremised for a GT 40  it has a higher A/R than I want but will support my
HP target  and spool up time I think is not that important  over the long
corse at WOT ?? any way am I on the right trak ???
Gary