tire test

To: land-speed-digest <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: tire test
From: Rex Svoboda <svoboda@marsweb.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:21:55 -0600
List:
    Here are spin test results on the tire I use on my car.  The test
was done to gather safety information not otherwise available on this
tire.  These results are for information and entertainment only, etc.
Many thanks to Gene and Betty Burkland (and Betty's brothers) for taking
the time and effort to do the test.

Tire:  New, off the shelf,  Michelin Pilot Sport 275/40 ZR 17
unshaved.
tire air pressure-  50 psi
mounted tire out of round- .006"
start circumference- 80.6875"
air temp.  70' F

test- tire held at noted RPM's  for 20 seconds, then stopped and
measured.  free (unloaded) spin

Spin # 1:           2,000 tire rpm        radius growth  1/8"        155
mph
                        2,500 tire rpm        radius growth
1/4"        196 mph
                        3,500 tire rpm        radius growth
5/16"      275 mph
    circumference at rest- 81"
    tire psi after run- 50 psi

Spin # 2:        4,000 tire rpm        radius growth 1/2"        319 mph

                      4,500 tire rpm       radius growth 1/2" +     359
mph
    circumference at rest- 81.250
    tire psi after run- 50 psi

Spin # 3:       5,000 tire rpm        radius growth  5/8"        403
mph  (spinner operators were backing up at this point)
                    5,172 tire rpm        tire
failure                        417 mph

Notes:  no shake or vibration during the test.  The bead was stable on
the wheel until 200 rpm prior to failure.
            parts of the tire flew 500' from the spinner which was
pretty cool to watch & we were hunting tire pieces for 30
           minutes in the  wheat field.
                Using a 68% safety factor there is still  a large margin
when running the car at 200 mph.

Rex Svoboda
631  G/MS