RE: tire test

To: Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>, gary baker
Subject: RE: tire test
From: Glenn Ridlen <gridlen@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:18:15 -0700 (PDT)
It is true that load resulting in flexing of the tread and sidewall may add
some heat but with the air pressures we run I doubt that it would be a
significant contributing factor to failure in any but the heaviest of vehicles.

                         Glenn

Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net> wrote:
Gary:
probably centrifugal growth is the biggest factor for lsr tires, as
suggested.

However-- tire heating may sometimes be a significant problem, too. A
free-spinning tire doesn't produce significant heat, so that factor isn't
tested in such a rig.

The heavy carcasses of the av tires surely shrug-off the static and impact
mechanical loads that we lsr folks put on them-- but I doubt that that is
the case for the thin-wall tires designed for landspeed racing. And some
years Bonneville can be fairly bumpy. And many lsr vehicles are "rigid"
suspension.

Still-- I don't mean to belittle the value of the data; resistance to
failures due to growth is probably the most important thing we could
measure.
Russ, #1226B