RE: tire test

To: Land-Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tire test
From: Jim Webb <jimwebb@nutsracing.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 12:16:58 -0500
Rex,

Thanks a lot for sharing the results of the tire test with everyone on the
list. I am curious if Dan Warner or any of the other SCTA officials have any
comment on this test. I realize it is a sample of one, but I tend to believe
that high performance DOT rated tires have come a long way in technolgy in
the last 15-20 years. I still cannot understand how unrated Front Runner
drag tires are acceptable, but Z or V rated tires are not really accepted
over about 180. Now I read that the bike guys are running their ZR tires
into the 250 range and spinning them to boot.

Is there any study that could be conducted that would change the SCTA scale
on tires and speed?

Just wondering...

Jim Webb
jimwebb@nutsracing.com
Chock Full o' Nuts
#527 A/PP 193.402 2002
     B/PP 190.967 2002
     A/PP 172.695 2001
(who has 4 new Goodyear 300mph-rated LSR tires to make the inspectors love
me in August)