Bentley 24 hour

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bentley 24 hour
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:06:44 -0400
Wes and List

The Nardo track is banked (not extreme, but I have not seen it)  - hence
hands off speed on a 12.5 kilo - 7.5 miles or so, true circle.  The FIA,
under whose rules the car will run, will not concern themselves with the
location as both that used in the 20's - Bonneville and the Nardo bowl have
been licensed by them. There is no adjustment for altitude either.

What the team have aimed to do all along in the engineering in the car is
be true to the 20's period, so for example the clutch is built for direct
actuation without any hydraulics - driver has a strong left thigh and leg
now.  The gearbox is 3 speeds, hand shifted between the legs.  The car runs
on leaf springs etc...... (see the web site photos).

SO .... if the feeling is strong that their record bid against the Mormon
Meteor efforst would lack credibility running on the European facility for
24 hours the team might agree to run flat.  Perhaps at Bonneville but
perhaps another desert.  Then I return to my question - could the 10 mile
circle be prepared on Bonneville without damaging the straighline tracks?

All this talk of 24 hour running depends upon tyre availability for the 19
inch wire spoked wheels with K/O splined hubs - will come back to this
problem on another mailing.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England