RE: Bentley 24 hour

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Bentley 24 hour
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:41:31 -0400
At 09:28 AM 7/8/03 -0400, you wrote:
>The Rand McNally map still (03 edition) shows a circle track at Bville.
>
>Jon
>
>Well, didn't they set endurance records at Bonneville with that
>corporate-sponsored Olds "Quad-Four" streamliner, back in the '80s?
>
>Seems like I also remember seeing a map of Bonneville Speedway showing long,
>short, international , and endurance courses.  As I recall, the endurance
>course was a circle that was mostly northwest of where we have been running
>recently.  (Not toward the dike on the southeast.) Yes?  No??
>That northwest area is still pretty smooth, but seems to thin out quite a
>bit.
>
>Russ, #1226B.

 It still shows on several maps however an aerial photo of the Salt
taken in 1993 and 1997, show no sign of the circle track..

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=15&x=40&y=705&z=12&w=1

But then its not marked on the topographic map of the flats

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=16&x=20&y=352&z=12&w=1

Interesting shot of the "Bend in the road" to "Lands end" too.

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=1246&y=22582&z=12&w=2