RE: Eating the Elephant (or Wooly Mammoth)

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Eating the Elephant (or Wooly Mammoth)
From: <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:02:02 -0700
Boy, can I relate to that, Mayf.  Our Explorer helicopter was the first
designed exclusively by computer, and I was there from the very beginning.
A lot of goodness there, but also some badness.

When designing on a drafting board, the concept begins at the top and then
works down to the details.  Designing by computer begins with the smallest
parts, then progresses upward.  The problem there is that these detail parts
sort of "float by" without context.  By the time you get to a level of
complexity to see that there is a better way, it's often too late, too many
things would need to be changed.  Unless there is significant reason to
change it, it just stays that way.  I'm sure you saw that on you space
station work too.

Dale C.