BSFC

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: BSFC
From: Elon Ormsby <ormsby1@llnl.gov>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:33:56 -0700
Lorcan Parnell said "(snip...)  I would be tempted to go bigger still or
allow for an increase in fuel pressure (buy 94lb injectors at 40psi then
you can run up to 70psi if you need to) because of the huge cooling effect
from methanol, especially with turbos.

Nice idea, doubling the pressure, but I do have a question.  Since the
injector is not pilot operated (i.e., pressure balanced to lower the delta
p) don't you increase the response time when you increase the
pressure?  Assuming 7,000 rpm,  the response has to be 17 mili seconds (58
times per second) which is already "pushing the envelope" for a relatively
cheap device.  I would guess that increasing pressure, greater than the
design spec for the injector, would greatly affect the response time. Do
you hit it harder with more voltage, start it open earlier, keep it open
longer, or...?  Admittedly, I don't run EFI, or know anything about them,
but it seems to me to be a little more difficult that simply increasing
pressure.  Again, a great idea, but what experience and what problems have
others had by doing this?    -Elon