Lock up Clutch Problem-non LSR

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lock up Clutch Problem-non LSR
From: "JOE LANCE" <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 01:18:26 -0400
Had a problem with the car going to/from Maxton last week and would like to
get some feedback from anyone on the List

The car is a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter with the Chrysler auto tran

In cruise control the torque converter lock-up clutch will unlock then
relock--it takes about one second or less to go thru this cycle and it goes
thru this cycle at random times, about once every 5 to 15 seconds.

The cruise control itself appears to be working okay---it holds a constant
average speed

the recommended service at 30,000 miles was done--the tran pan was dropped,
the filter cleaned,filled with fresh fluid, now has 46,000 miles. Had the tran
flushed, new fluid and an additive put in a few days ago,but it hasn't
helped.

The local Jeep dealer says take out the tran and replace the lock-up clutch.
But I'm not convinced that's the right fix because the lock-up clutch does NOT
cycle out/in when cruise control is turned off--if I hold the same throttle
position manually with my right foot its okay. But if I put it back in cruise
control the clutch starts cycling again.

So, if the cruise control just senses speed and adjusts the throttle position
accordingly,how can it cause the lock-up clutch to cycle?  Or is there a
strange computer link between the cruise control and the tran thats causing
the clutch to cycle?

Any comments/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

lance