Re: Lock up Clutch Problem-non LSR

To: JOE LANCE <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Lock up Clutch Problem-non LSR
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 04:45:07 -0400
Without quoting your whole message I can tell you my 2002 Pontiac grand prix
does unlock the converter more often on cruise than it does with out the cruise
control on. I think it moves the throttle more to maintain speed within a
narrower range than I would tolerate. If i am cruising at 65 and come to a small
grade i will tolerate 62 going up the grade and 68 going down it. It seems like
the Cruise control in my car at least wants to keep the speed within a mph or
so. It is probably the rate of change in throttle position that is unlocking the
converter and hence a programing issue. As an interesting side note, i went to
Watkins Glen a few weeks ago and they have some pretty big hills on the way
there. I found that with the cruise off if i fed the throttle very slowly going
up them the engine would stay at 2k rpm and converter locked up with about 3/4
throttle. So on my car ate least it is a rate of change issue. i would suspect
that if the computer sees the throttle rate of change above a certain thresh
hold it decides you are trying to accelerate and starts doing things to help
you, first by unlocking the converter and if you are still asking for more i
suppose downshifting is next.

The real question though is this behavior in your jeep new or did you just start
using the cruise control more often??
Dave