Re: rws

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rws
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 06:00:24 -0400
Always like bench racing with as well JD..
Here is something to consider when you get a minute, have a cold one on me and
see if you think as an inspector this would make your life a bunch easier in the
long run and probably not change the racing one bit.

I would love to just see the engine rules read..

" In classes other than Vintage and Classic the engine control system
can adjust any engine operating parameter,other than the throttle
position, for any reason using any sensor input or any combination of
them."

That is a rule that is enforceable and easy to inspect. It allows
engine builder freedom to explore anything and the driver still has
the 'go' pedal in their control.  If you look at it logically we
already have..

Ignition vs. rpm
Ignition vs. manifold pressure
Ignition vs. throttle position
Ignition vs. nitrous

Fuel vs. rpm
Fuel vs. manifold pressure
Fuel vs. throttle position
Fuel vs. nitrous

Boost vs. rpm
Boost vs. throttle position
Boost vs. gear position

gear position vs. rpm
gear position vs. manifold pressure
gear position vs. throttle position

torque converter lock up vs. rpm
torque converter lock up vs. manifold pressure
torque converter lock up vs. throttle position

nitrous vs. rpm ( both under rpm and over rpm)
nitrous vs. manifold pressure
nitrous vs. throttle position
nitrous vs. gear position

Ignition rev limiter
Fuel rev limiter
Boost rev limiter
nitrous rev limiter

There are only a few possibilities left that are available and i probably left
some out as well..

Wouldn't it be simpler and easily enforceable to just state that the
only thing allowed to operate the steering, brakes and throttle is the
driver... And just leave the engine open to innovation? I left out the
transmission as some cars have automatics and ya just leave them in
drive at times and some cars have no transmissions at all..

The 'new' MSD slew rate rev limiter can be duplicated mechanically
quite easily if you are willing to put a very heavy flywheel in the
car by the way. But does SCTA/BNI want cars out there with 300 lb
flywheels and do they want to start tearing down cars to weigh one in
the first place. The very heavy flywheel would be a very big safety
issue from what i can see but would limit engine acceleration rate
quite well. Much safer to do electronically for sure. If engine
control vs engine acceleration rate,wheel speeds or tire slip is not
made legal at some point in the near future it will bring on yet
another set of rules that are equally hard to police involving
component weights etc..

In the end the 'genie' is out of the bottle... Like it or not engine
development and power production is exceeding the rate of rules change
in order to apply the new found power safely and i would like to think
safety is the first issue and i suspect asking everyone to detune
their engines to some level is not going to work.. Them we would need
a chassis dyno to inspect the cars. Lets all vote for keeping the
rules simple and easy to interpret as the penalties for guessing wrong
are way to large to take lightly.  Dave