RE: Thrust

To: <Nt788@aol.com>, <jdincau@qnet.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thrust
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:15:58 -0500
Jack:
don't assume I could never do it, just because I'm not very interested.

As a Mechanical Engineering Consultant, I work on 100megawatt turbines just
about every month, and I've done research projects on both turbines and pure
jets (including the first EPA emissions tests on a jet engine-- summer,
1971).

I know the thermodynamics, and most of the (basic) metallurgy for all the
common turbine cycles.  It would be easier for me to operate and maintain
such a powerplant for lsr than it is to do my dual-OHC bike engine.  (More
expensive, however.)

As a young teen, I built very successful model rockets, and even won a
science fair with my own rocket engine design back in Junior High.  I built
my first thrust-measurment engine dyno at age 14.

But to me the thrust motors seem not very exciting anymore, compared to
recips and rotaries (or even "shaft" turbines).  I'm thinking maybe a lot of
hot-rodders were more excited about the thrust vehicles when they were
"new"-- back in the '60s-- than they are now.  Or is it just me?

What-- did I piss you off with the remark about "forced social program"--??
Russ, #1226B