Re: Thrust

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thrust
From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:19:44 -0700
Different people have different dreams Arne. I've been saying sense I
dropped out of the
I/B_ S  competition the the records should be over 300 mph. I've closely
followed
those running in that class. Why --- I think because I'm familiar with
the class and it just
excites me.

The aircraft record is over mach 2 but the one that really gets airplane
nuts going is
Rare Bears 500+ mph piston engine record. A lot of money was spent on
that old Bearcat
and a zillion volunteer hours.
Getting adequate power for a record out of a just about any IC motor, be
it a flathead
or a 5 valve bike motor is challenging.

Obtaining more thrust is not as difficult IF your Bill Gates. One of the
first stage motors
from a Saturn 5 would push a barn fairly fast.

The Thrust project represented several world class accomplishments.
Richard assembled an all volunteer team that worked together flawlessly
99% of the time.
The team raised several million dollars and in the process were the
first group to raise
money using the internet directly, online. ($250,000.00 in 10 days)
Andy followed every run plan exactly. This took world class discipline,
concentration and
guts.
Ron and Glynne designed a car (thing) that did what  most knowledgeable
people said
was simply impossible. It stayed on the ground at mach 1.
The logical, predictable outcome of all of the above occurred on 15
October 1997.

Arne I don't think there are many people on this list that are
interested in a thrust powered car
because it isn't something they can do by themselves or with  family and
friends only. Many
of us have worked with large groups and don't want to get involved in
that environment
again. It's too much like work.

So start saving your money Arne, the jet engines a 1,000 mph car will
need won't be
available to the public for another 15-20 years according to Ron Ayers.

Have fun,
Bryan